- Coconut water has shown to have antioxidant properties with various tests carried out on rats with high fructose diets, free-radical activity decreased, as did blood pressure, triglycerides and insulin levels.5
- Studies have been carried out on diabetic animals which test the effect of coconut water on blood sugar control. Due to its high content of magnesium it could increase insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.
- Coconut water has shown to help the prevention of the formation of kidney stones, kidney stones form when your urine contains more crystal forming substances - such as calcium, oxalate and uric acid – than the fluid in your urine can dilute.
- In studies which observed rats with kidney stones, coconut water prevented crystals from sticking to the kidneys and other parts of the urinary tract, it also reduced the number of crystals formed in the urine.6
- Animal studies suggest that coconut water may have powerful cholesterol-lowering properties that could even rival the effects of statin drugs.
- And finally, the one benefit that most of the population associates with coconut water is it’s hydrating properties. Coconut water is full of electrolytes along with plenty of minerals such as magnesium, sodium and calcium.
- Two studies found that coconut water restored hydration after exercise better than water and equal to high-electrolyte sports beverages.
- Coconut water is low in calories, has a decent amount of carbs to provide bursts of energy and also contains fibre which aids in digestion. 7,8