Health benefits of other ingredients
- Piperine is a bioactive compound found in black pepper
- Piperine has been shown to relieve nausea, headaches, and poor digestion and has also shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. 1
- Still it’s most significant benefit maybe it’s ability to increase the absorption of curcumin into the body buy up to 2000%.2
- Piperine has been shown to be so potent that it matches the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs bar the negative side effects.
- Cinnamon is also loaded with antioxidants such as polyphenols and has also been shown to be a potent anti-inflammatory agent.3
- Cinnamon has shown to improve sensitivity to the hormone insulin which can result in reducing insulin resistance in the body thus lowering blood sugar levels.
- Apart from the beneficial effects of insulin resistance, cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels by several other mechanisms:
- Cinnamon has been shown to decrease the amount of glucose that enters your bloodstream after a meal. It is able to do this by disrupting a number of digestive enzymes which slow the breakdown of carbohydrates in the digestive tract.
- Cinnamon has also shown it can act on cells by mimicking insulin, this greatly improves the uptake of glucose by your cells, but is slower than insulin itself.4
- Coconut water has shown to have antioxidant properties with various tests carried out on rats with high fructose diets, free-radical activity decreased, as did blood pressure, triglycerides and insulin levels.5
- Studies have been carried out on diabetic animals which test the effect of coconut water on blood sugar control. Due to its high content of magnesium it could increase insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.
- Coconut water has shown to help the prevention of the formation of kidney stones, kidney stones form when your urine contains more crystal forming substances - such as calcium, oxalate and uric acid – than the fluid in your urine can dilute.
- In studies which observed rats with kidney stones, coconut water prevented crystals from sticking to the kidneys and other parts of the urinary tract, it also reduced the number of crystals formed in the urine.6
- Animal studies suggest that coconut water may have powerful cholesterol-lowering properties that could even rival the effects of statin drugs.
- And finally, the one benefit that most of the population associates with coconut water is it’s hydrating properties. Coconut water is full of electrolytes along with plenty of minerals such as magnesium, sodium and calcium.
- Two studies found that coconut water restored hydration after exercise better than water and equal to high-electrolyte sports beverages.
- Coconut water is low in calories, has a decent amount of carbs to provide bursts of energy and also contains fibre which aids in digestion. 7,8
- They may be small, but they sure do pack a punch, chia seeds are nutritiously packed with vitamins and minerals whilst containing very few calories. They are high in Fibre, protein, healthy fats (omega-3), Calcium, Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus and decent levels of Zinc, vitamin B3, potassium, vitamin B1 and vitamin B2.9
- Almost all the carbohydrates in chia seeds are fibre, a 28g serving contains 12g of carbs which would normally be quite high, however 11g are fibre which your body doesn’t digest leaving just one digestible gram of carbohydrates per 28g serving.
- The role of fibre has only become more important over the past few years, with the increase in the amount of protein in people’s diets, fibre can be a benefit to those who have constipation or irregular bowel movements.
- Chia seeds are known for expanding once coming into contact with a liquid, they can absorb up to 10-12 times their weight in water which gives a feeling of fullness which prevents snacking and binge eating. 10
CurcuBlast is made up of three plant-based protein, Pea, Rice and Hemp.
Pea protein is made from yellow split peas, per 30g serving it contains 22g of protein and 100 calories. It is rich in essential branched-chain-amino-acids (BCAA’s) – leucine, isoleucine and valine which help fuel working muscles and helps stimulate the body to make muscle protein.
Muscle gains that have been made whilst consuming pea protein has been likened to that of people consuming whey protein.
Studies involving both humans and animals have suggested that pea protein may promote feelings of fullness and lower blood pressure.11
Brown rice protein is easy to find and relatively inexpensive which makes it a good source of vegan protein to incorporate into your diet. A 30g serving contains around 23g of protein and 110 calories. It is a rich source of BCAA’s and may be as effective as whey protein in supporting muscle growth.12
Hemp protein comes from seeds of the cannabis plant, but from a strain which contains only trace amounts of the compound THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) which means it can’t make you high. A 30g serving contains roughly 13g of protein and 110 calories, it is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals such as fibre, iron, zinc, magnesium and alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), the plant form of omega-3 fat.13
- Meghwal M, Goswami TK. Piper nigrum and piperine: an update. Phytother Res.2013 Aug;27(8):1121-30. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4972. Epub 2013 Apr 29.
- Subash C. Gupta, Sridevi Patchva, and Bharat B. Aggarwal, Therapeutic Roles of Curcumin: Lessons Learned from Clinical Trials AAPS J. 2013 Jan; 15(1): 195–218. Published online 2012 Nov 10. doi: 1208/s12248-012-9432-8
- Pasupuleti Visweswara Rao and Siew Hua Gan, Cinnamon: A Multifaceted Medicinal Plant
Published online 2014 Apr 10. doi: 10.1155/2014/642942
- Bolin Qin, M.D., Ph.D., Kiran S. Panickar, and Richard A. Anderson, Ph.D., C.N.S. Cinnamon: Potential Role in the Prevention of Insulin Resistance, Metabolic Syndrome, and Type 2 Diabetes J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2010 May; 4(3): 685–693. Published online 2010 May 1 doi: 10.1177/193229681000400324
- Bhagya D, Prema L, Rajamohan T. Therapeutic effects of tender coconut water on oxidative stress in fructose fed insulin resistant hypertensive rats. Asian Pac J Trop Med.2012 Apr;5(4):270-6. doi: 10.1016/S1995-7645(12)60038-8.
- Gandhi M, Aggarwal M, Puri S, Singla SK Int Braz, Prophylactic effect of coconut water (Cocos nucifera L.) on ethylene glycol induced nephrocalcinosis in male wistar rat. J Urol.2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):108-17. doi: 10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2013.01.14.
- Saat M, Singh R, Sirisinghe RG, Nawawi M. Rehydration after exercise with fresh young coconut water, carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage and plain water. J Physiol Anthropol Appl Human Sci.2002 Mar;21(2):93-104.
- Ismail I, Singh R, Sirisinghe, Rehydration with sodium-enriched coconut water after exercise-induced dehydration. RG Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health.2007 Jul;38(4):769-85.
- Vázquez-OvandoAlfredoRosado-RubioGabrielChel-GuerreroLuisBetancur-AnconaDavid, Physicochemical properties of a fibrous fraction from chia (Salvia hispanica), LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 42, Issue 1, 2009, Pages 168-173
- Babault N, Païzis C, Deley G, Guérin-Deremaux L, Saniez MH, Lefranc-Millot C, Allaert FA. Pea proteins oral supplementation promotes muscle thickness gains during resistance training: a double-blind, randomized, Placebo-controlled clinical trial vs. Whey protein. J Int Soc Sports Nutr.2015 Jan 21;12(1):3. doi: 10.1186/s12970-014-0064-5. eCollection 2015.
- Kalman DS Amino Acid Composition of an Organic Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Isolate Compared to Soy and Whey Concentrates and Isolates. 2014 Jun 30;3(3):394-402. doi: 10.3390/foods3030394.
- Tang CH, Ten Z, Wang XS, Yang XQ. Physicochemical and functional properties of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) protein isolate. J Agric Food Chem.2006 Nov 15;54(23):8945-50.
Meghwal M, Goswami TK. Piper nigrum and piperine: an update. Phytother Res.2013 Aug;27(8):112...
CurcuBlast is made up of three plant-based protein, Pea, Rice and Hemp. Pea protein is made...
They may be small, but they sure do pack a punch, chia seeds are nutritiously packed with vitamins...
Coconut water has shown to have antioxidant properties with various tests carried out on rats with...
Cinnamon is also loaded with antioxidants such as polyphenols and has also been shown to be a pote...
Piperine is a bioactive compound found in black pepper Piperine has been shown to relieve nausea,...